As well as ideally situated for walking and cycling holidays Scales farm is ideal for horse riding holidays (bring your own Horse). The farm cottage sleeping up to eight people is situated in a quiet fell location on a working hill farm in the pretty Lowther valley, two miles from Helton village and close to Pooley Bridge and Penrith. The farm is an ideal location to stay if attending any horse events at ie at Newton Rigg, Frenchfield, or Dalemain or surrrounding area. There are guided horse trails available in the local area with your own horse, if interested check out the facebook pages of Ullswater Saddleback Horse Trails.
From the farm itself you can access directly onto the fells / bridle paths up to Loadpot hill to the Roman road at High street, along to Haweswater, Ullswater, Pooley Bridge, Howtown, Askham, Helton, Bampton and the Lowther valley. It is an ideal location to make a base for other trekking locations within Cumbria or in the Yorkshire Dales.
Facilities we offer:
- Farm is a Member of British Horse Society
- Stable block - attached to holiday cottage
- Two large stables available -To BHS standard
- Large paddock accessed from stable block (secure)
- Access to grazing horse/horses in enclosed farm fields.
- Please supply own coral/electric fencing if any grazing restrictons ie.health issues/don't mix with other horses.
- Tack room attached to stable block
- Separate toilet /washroom attached to stable
- Parking for horse trailer/s and vehicles
- Easy access to fell from farm
- Access to stables from inside holiday cottage
Rates (With Cottage Accommodation):
Please see 2024 Price List for all the cost's for below
- Per week per Horse
- Short stay, per night per Horse
- If Holiday Cottage Accommodation not available Horses can stay for higher rate, per horse per night. Contact the farm for details and booking.
- Customer to supply own Horse bedding/feed unless prior arrangements have been made. Please see 2024 Price List for details
- Customer's own Insurance required
The cottage is located approximately twenty minutes from the M6 Motorway, accessed via J39 Shap or J40 Penrith. Grid reference of Scales farm is Land ranger Map sheet 90 NY486201, and the What 3 Words for Scales Farm Cottage are, magazine desk slanting, see Scales Farm Cottage directions.
It is also Ideally situated for general touring of the the Lake District, Eden Valley and the Yorkshire Dales. There are guided horse trails available with your own horse, if interested check out the facebook pages of Ullswater Saddleback Horse Trails.
Mary Towneley Loops - British Horse Society Group of Loop rides (Accessible from the Farm)
Eden Valley Cumbria routes: Loop 1 - Eden Valley (16Km) Pooley bridge, Loadpot Hill, High Street are accessible from Farm and Loop 2 - Eden Valley (32km) Bampton, Shap Beck Quarry, Little Strickland and surrounding area - Unsure if fully accessible as issue reported by rider to BHS in September 2023 as unable to complete mapped route.
Eden Valley Cumbria routes: Loop 3 - and Loop 4 - Up to half an hour travel from the farm.
For details of the all these routes and maps for the Eden Valley Loops 1 to 4 click on the link and search for the route.
If you would like more information on or would like to make a booking for you and horse/s to stay at Scales farm please make contact by either phone or email or Facebook as listed on the Contact page